Monday, November 14, 2011

Can't Find My Commitment. Has Anyone Seen It?

Well, well, well. Just when some of you though you would be reading how I'm "back on track " with my running, and back to my old self, your about to read something different.

Considering I ran my 20 miles the previous week, I thought that I was back!!!! I though that I had worked my running habits back into my crazy schedule, and rediscovered the commitment that I once had; Not so. I started out this past week with what was supposed to be a 6 mile run, that turned into a 3 mile run. I was going to try and get in a 6 miler on Sunday morning before the Steeler game started. Had my alarm set for 8am. Yeah, that 8am came and went!!! I must have set my alarm clock 20 times before I eventually just shut the thing off. I was justifying in my sleep that I soooooo needed more. So when I did wake up, it was almost 1pm!!! I still had it in my head that I was running no matter what, but first I needed an hour or so to wake up. So I sat around on my laptop, just lounging, until I finally got fed up with boredom, set the DVR on my slingbox for the Steeler game, and headed out to conquer this run. It shouldn't be this much work right???



I finally got out the door, after the entire obsessive compulsive, stretching, ritualistic things I have to do before I run. I definitely had the right mind set, and had every intention on running at least 6 miles, but then I started dreading the same, old, dirty, Newark route I was going to run. Blah!!! Anyways, my 6 miler turned into a 3 miler. My mindset quickly changed when I started running. It's amazing to me that, if your not in the right mental capacity the entire time how the body just won't go. I was winded after the first mile, or so that's what my brain told my lungs and body. You see, there's a cruise control on me, and I usually will hit it around the 4 or 5 mile mark, but, like I said earlier, I have to have the right mind set!!!

I finished my crappy 3 mile run, and headed back to gear up for the Steeler game!!! I didn't feel good about the distance, but I did feel good because I was still on track with my commitment to run no matter what. That soon changed. I started out on a trip the next day, and without boring you of the details, let's just say, I didn't run at ALL!!!! I got in late from Dallas back to jersey, and early the next morning I was taking my mom and sister to Minneapolis to the mall of America. This has been the only place my sister has ever wanted to go, so, being the good brother I am, I took her. I figured that I could at least get in 3 or 4 miles on the dreaded treadmill when in Minnesota. We got there, went to the mall, and went back to the hotel. My sister went to the gym, but did I follow? Nope!!!! I just decided not to. I was making excuses in my head that I could do it another day. NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!


Before I knew it, it was Saturday, and all I had done was 3 miles for the week. Pretty crazy seeing I did 20 miles the previous week, with a 10 mile long run in Denver to boot!! But I had big plans for Saturday. I had the long Fort Lauderdale layover, right on the beach, and I was going to do another 10 mile run along A1A. Got to the hotel, weather was perfect for a nice run, so again I went through my routine. I was even contemplating taking a nap beforehand, but remembered that, if I wanted this bad enough, the nap would have to wait. I stepped outside, started my run, and FAIL!!! After the first mile and a half, my brain told me and my entire body, " Your very tired, and your out of breath, and , oh yeah, your legs really hurt!! " So I changed my 10 miler into a 4 miler. I was keeping a good pace for the first 2 and a half miles, and then took a walk break around the 3 mile marker, and then picked it back up for the last mile. Finished with a 9:26 mile, but I knew this wasn't good enough for me. I did my last 4 mile race in 35:17 with a 8:45 minute mile. :(


I ended the week with 7 measly miles, and anothe blog about me complaining, and promising to myself how the "Next Week " will have the old Mike back. We shall see. I have this entire week off, and have a 4 mile race on the 20th, which I plan to run under 35 minutes. Do you think I have big plans to stay home and train my but off?? No, I'm writing this sitting in the exit row of a Boeing 757-300 on my way to Vegas to meet some friends and do sinful things for the week!!!! But, yes there is a But. I do plan to run on Tuesday and Wednesday, and again when I get back on Friday. If I can stick to this plan, then maybe, just maybe, I'll get that gear back on my legs and next weeks blog will be an awesome one!!!! Until then, stay tuned people. Thanks for listen to me ramble, and feel free to add any advice to help a fellow runner out.


-Running to a town near you!!!
Mike

Location:Non Revving From Jersey To Vegas

No comments:

Post a Comment